The perpetrators onboard of the hijacked tanker, MT Orkim Harmony spoke with an Indonesian accent, said Royal Malaysian Navy chief Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Jaafar.

The tanker, which was first spotted in Cambodian waters on Wednesday after went missing for almost a week, was repainted from blue to black. It was also renamed Kim Harmon.

Abdul Aziz who has been tweeting updates of the tanker said at least eight hijackers were confirmed to be onboard, armed with pistols and parangs.

MT Orkim Harmony was sailing from Malacca to Kuantan when it went missing on June 12. On board the tanker were 22 crewmen comprising 16 Malaysians, five Indonesians and one from Myanmar.

Yesterday, Abdul Aziz said the crew members of the tanker are safe, adding that negotiations were ongoing with the hijackers to surrender.

READ: Missing MT Orkim Harmony in Cambodian waters, renamed and repainted

READ: MT Orkim Harmony: Crew members safe - Navy chief

"KD Terengganu is shadowing the vessel and is in communication with the Vessel's captain. All crew are safe and unharmed," he had earlier tweeted.

The ship which was reported missing at 8.57 pm last Thursday, is owned by Magna Meridian Sdn Bhd.

Meanwhile, Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) believe the 6,000 metric tonnes of RON95 fuel worth RM21 million carried by the tanker, is still intact.

MMEA deputy director-general (operations) Maritime Admiral Datuk Ahmad Puzi Ab Kahar said that it was confirmed by the oil-tanker's owner, called to identify the ship after it was found on Wednesday.

READ: MT Orkim Harmony's RM21 million cargo intact

Based on the images captured by the P-3C Orion aircraft belonging to the Royal Australian Air Force, the vessel's owner confirmed the position of the fuel level of 6,000 tonnes of petrol.

To ensure that the oil tanker is always in the control of the security forces, a MMEA vessel, KM Amanah and the ship KD Terengganu have been deployed and are at a distance of 10 kilometres from the oil tanker.

To date, 16 ships and four aircraft with 1,200 officers and men have been involved in the search and rescue operation for the oil-tanker.