Police to probe claims of RTD's involvement in Malacca road crash
The Police will investigate on claims that the Road Transport Department was involved in the Friday road accident that claimed four lives.
The Police will carry out an investigation on claims that the fatal accident at Jalan Serkam Pantai-Pulai on Friday was caused by a car chase involving the Road Transport Department (RTD).
According to investigating officer, Inspector Cornelius Loipin, the police received a report from an eyewitness who claimed that there was an attempt by the RTD to pursue a Proton Perdana vehicle which led to the collision.
"We received complaints from the public that the RTD tried to chase the Proton Perdana. However, we are still investigating whether the allegations are true or not.
"So far, one witness has lodged a report saying the RTD was involved.
"The police will investigate further... we cannot say RTD is guilty, but we will investigate," he said.
The police also asked for more witnesses to step forward to facilitate their investigations.
On Friday, it was reported that the incident occurred after a Proton Perdana travelling on the opposite direction, went out of control and rammed into a Perodua Kancil.
After crashing with the Perdana, the Kancil collided with a Proton Preve travelling behind it, causing two of the victims to be thrown out of the vehicle.
Another two victims were trapped in their seats but all four died at the scene.
The four who died were all family members; Saimah Wahab, 77, Ida Dollah, 46, her daughters Siti Rohana Abd Ghaffar, 23, and Siti Rohani, 18.
Meanwhile, Ida's husband, Abd Ghaffar Said plans to take legal action on this case as he felt that the carelessness of road users had caused the lives of his family.
He too, hoped that more witnesses would come forward and lodge police reports.
Yesterday, the RTD had denied having anything to do with the crash, following a media report that the incident could have been caused by a car chase between RTD officers and a Proton Perdana car.
The department had dismissed that media report as "false". Through its official Facebook page, the department also described the report as "baseless".