Johor Bahru MP, Tan Sri Shahrir Abdul Samad came up with some answers concerning the RM2.6 billion donation that went into the Prime Minister's personal account.
The Barisan Nasional Backbenchers Club (BNBBC) chairman responded to a series of 15 questions posed by the son of the Johor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Khaled Nordin, Akmal Saufi, on his Facebook page who urged Datuk Seri Najib Razak to explain about the donation.
Akmal Saufi who is also chairman of the security, law and integrity committee for the Malaysian Youth Parliament, expressed doubts whether UMNO Supreme Council members were aware about the fund's transaction.
Below are questions posed by Akmal Saufi along with the answers given by Shahrir:
1. When Datuk Seri Najib received funds totalling RM2.6 billion, was he aware about the sum of money that had entered into his account?
Answer: Not only the Prime Minister knows (about it) but even Bank Negara knows.
2. What is the evidence that the money was a donation and not money related to 1MDB (1Malaysia Development Berhad) as well as parties related to 1MDB transactions?
Answer An investigation was done. 1MDB denied their money put channelled into the political funds account of the Prime Minister, President of Umno and Barisan Nasional (BN).
3. As stated by MACC, the money was a donation. Were these donations contributed to the government, for UMNO's purpose or personal purposes?
Answer: For politics - UMNO and BN.
4. If the money is donated for UMNO, does the UMNO leadership especially the UMNO Supreme Council know about the donation?
Answer: As long as I was in the UMNO Supreme Council or the UMNO State Liaison Committee, we never raised any questions about donations were never raised nor it was disclosed to the members of the Supreme Council and state liason.
5. If the UMNO Supreme Council did not know about it, does that mean UMNO would not know its existence unless Dato Seri inform about it?
Answer: Same as answer number four.
6. When Dato Seri Najib intends to inform the Supreme Council if it is not exposed to the Supreme Council?
Answer: Same as answer number four.
7. Assuming that the donation was a personal donation to Dato Seri and not to UMNO, will Dato Seri accept donation while holding a position as a minister?
Answer: The Prime Minister said it was not for private usage.
8. Can a Minister or Deputy Prime Minister or the Prime Minister received the donation when holding positions in the government?
Answer: Can a Menteri Besar be prohibited from seeking political funds?
9. Do you need to declare the donations to the public and other members of the Cabinet?
Answer: Since when political donations and political funds should be disclosed to all parties? However, this situation can be changed by law so that political funds can be transparent. Currently, there is no law yet. I support the framework for political funding in accordance with the proposed transformation under the government's transformation program.
10. Was the Governor of Bank Negara and its scholars aware of the movement of the money amounting to RM2.6 billion into the country?
Answer: Of course, Bank Negara is aware and know about these money movements.
11.Is the Inland Revenue Board (IRB) aware of the amount of money that has been received Datuk Seri Najib?
Answer: The IRB is certainly aware because donors are not exempted from income tax, but the recipient does not have to pay taxes on the donations received.
12. If yes, does Datuk Seri Najib need to pay any income tax based on the amount of money accepted?
Answer: Same as answer number 11.
13. Can a Prime Minister get tax exemptions?
Answer: Minister, prime minister and minister allowances are not exempted from tax, only MPs allowance get exempted from tax.
14. If Datuk Seri Najib gets tax exemptions, are these exceptions made towards Datuk Seri Najib's salary Datuk Seri Najib or any donations he received?
Answer: Political donation are not subjected to tax, but the donors are. Only after April 1, 2015, a donation of more than RM500,000 are charged with goods and services (GST), but it is not clear whether political donations are excluded.
15. If the donation is meant for the government, then why the Finance Ministry did not know of its existence?
Answer: No one said the donation was for the government. So the question does not arise.
Sat Aug 08 2015
SHAHRIR: Not only the Prime Minister knows about the RM2.6 billion donation, but even Bank Negara knows.
Kes keganasan rumah tangga di Selangor terus meningkat
Sebanyak 1,519 kes dilaporkan bermula Januari hingga Oktober, berbanding hanya 1,349 kes direkodkan tahun lepas.
350 pengembara VTL darat dari Singapura tiba di Larkin Sentral
Seramai 350 pengembara menaiki 12 bas dari Singapura telah tiba di Terminal Bas dan Pengangkutan Awam Larkin Sentral di sini setakat tengah hari ini.
[TERKINI] Gubah Wang Haram | Pejabat ahli perniagaan, Vinod Sekhar diserbu?
Sebuah portal berita melaporkan beberapa siri serbuan ke atas pejabat ahli perniagaan, Datuk Vinod Sekhar susulan dakwaan terdapat penglibatan beliau dalam satu kes pengubahan wang haram di negara ini.
Varian Omicron: Jepun sekat ketibaan pelancong asing
Perdana Menteri Jepun Fumio Kishida berkata kerajaan akan melarang kemasukan baharu semua warga asing mulai Selasa berikutan kebimbangan terhadap varian Omicron.
Peratusan tanah belum dibangunkan rendah- Takiyuddin
Menteri Tenaga dan Sumber Asli, DS Takiyuddin Hassan berkata peratusan tanah belum dibangunkan sangat rendah iaitu 3.67 peratus bersamaan 1,440 lot berbanding dengan 39,247 lot.
Kailan ikan masin RM18, pemilik restoran beri penjelasan
Insiden tersebut mungkin berlaku akibat salah faham yang tidak disengajakan daripada pihak restoran.
Singapura terbuka terima cadangan baharu dari Malaysia berkaitan HSR - Hsien Loong
Lee berkata Kementerian Pengangkutan dari kedua-dua negara akan membincangkan perkara tersebut dan Singapura berharap menerima butiran lebih terperinci dari Malaysia.
Kami akan 'telan' lawan kami - Mora
Johor Darul Ta'zim berazam melakukan apa saja demi memastikan mereka membawa pulang trofi Piala Malaysia pada aksi final menentang Kuala Lumpur City FC di Stadium Nasional Bukit Jalil, malam esok.
PRN Sarawak: Lebih 9,000 pegawai, anggota polis akan diatur gerak - Timbalan KPN
Sebanyak 9,356 pegawai dan anggota Polis Diraja Malaysia (PDRM) akan ditugaskan untuk mengawal keselamatan dan memastikan pematuhan prosedur operasi standard (SOP) sepanjang PRN Sarawak.
Persatuan Pengguna Kedah terima aduan roti canai dijual RM4 sekeping di Langkawi
Persatuan Pengguna Kedah (CAKE) dakwa menerima aduan daripada pengguna sekeping roti canai dijual pada harga RM4 di Langkawi.
Isu derma RM2.6 bilion: Shahrir jawab 15 soalan dikemuka anak MB Johor
Berikut adalah jawapan Shahrir berhubung derma RM2.6 bilion yang dimasukkan ke akaun peribadi Najib dan juga mengenai isu 1MDB.
Ahli Parlimen Belia bangkitkan persoalan berhubung dana politik
Ahli Parlimen Belia, bertanya apakah cara bersesuaian untuk sebarang dana politik disalurkan agar tidak timbul sebarang kekeliruan.