January 27: PKR representative Lee Chin Cheh resigns as Kajang assemblyman to make way for Anwar to contest in the by-election. However, Anwar's plans fail when the court finds him guilty of sodomy, and his wife Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, who is also PKR president, was nominated instead.
February 26: Abdul Khalid, represented the Selangor government in signing a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Federal Government to restructure the water industry in the state, which had been postponed since 2008. The move disappoints the PKR leadership which claimed that Abdul Khalid had not discussed the matter with them.
June 26: Abdul Khalid fails to retain his position as PKR Kuala Selangor divsion chief in the party elections when he lost to former Kapar member of parliament, S. Manikavasagam.
July 21: PKR names Dr Wan Azizah to replace Abdul Khalid as the new Selangor Menteri Besar.
July 22: Abdul Khalid in a media statement said although he respected PKR's decision to nominate Wan Azizah as his replacement, the procedure must follow the laws of the state. Abdul Khalid also said unless the process is followed accordingly, he would continue to serve as the menteri besar.
July 25: PAS president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang defends Abdul Khalid to remain as Selangor Menteri Besar on the grounds that he had not betrayed the trust of the people.
August 1: DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng expresses the party's full support for Dr Wan Azizah's nomination as the new Selangor Menteri Besar.
August 4: PKR secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution discloses a 40-page dossier on Abdul Khalid's misconduct among others on the sale of state land to Eco World for an affordable homes project in Sungai Sering, Ukay Perdana.
August 5: The PKR disciplinary board sends a show-cause letter to Abdul Khalid on his reluctance to let go of the Selangor Menteri Besar post.
August 6 & 8: Abdul Khalid responded to the show-cause letter.
August 9: PKR sacks Abdul Khalid from the party with immediate effect. Abdul Khalid in a media statement said he accepted the decision of PKR although he deemed it to be legally wrong.
August 10: Abdul Khalid tells reporters he will continue with his duties until the Council of the Royal Court of Selangor meeting on Aug 11.
August 11: Abdul Khalid has audience with the Selangor Sultan to inform the sultan on his expulsion from PKR besides discussing the MB crisis. In a special media conference later, Abdul Khalid announced that the
Sultan had given his consent for him to continue as the Menteri Besar of Selangor.
The Menteri Besar also suggested that Excos (state executive councillors) who did not support his leadership should step down. He also said he would meet the Excos individually to know their stand on his leadership.
Selangor Exco members sacked by Abdul Khalid: (from left) V. Ganabatirau, Dr Daroyah Alwi, Elizabeth Wong, Datuk Teng Chang Khim and Ean Yong Hian Wah. – BERNAMApic
August 12: Four Excos from PAS state that they would continue to serve under the administration of Abdul Khalid as directed by their party leadership. Six Excos from DAP and PKR in a joint statement say they would continue discharging their duties but stress that would not interact with Abdul Khalid except at the weekly state executive council meeting.
The six are also reported to have said in matters involving them, the position and function of Abdul Khalid was also only as an interim menteri besar while awaiting a replacement from PR. They also said Abdul Khalid and the state executive council cannot make any decisions without undergoing a vote.
Abdul Khalid announces that he had sent a letter to the Sultan to seek consent to sack DAP and PKR excos who do not support his leadership. The six at a press conference later, however, said they would still go to
their offices tomorrow because they deemed their sacking to be unlawful because no consent was obtained from the Sultan of Selangor.