Two leaders from opposing sides of the political fence last night came to agree that their respective coalitions-- namely Pakatan Rakyat and Barisan Nasional (BN)-- have not lived up to their own expectations.

In a moment of candour, PKR strategy director Rafizi Ramli apologised over the lack of a stronger stand from his political party over issues concerning race and religion, especially the recent revival of the ‘Allah’ issue.

“There has not been a consistent contestation by Pakatan Rakyat (on the kalimah Allah issue) and what happened is that the UMNO argument is the one that the majority of people are subscribing to,” Rafizi said at a post-GE13 forum here on Monday.

“I don’t think there is a good excuse for PKR (for not being more forthright),” he admitted.

Rafizi said that one reason for the lack of stronger stand by Pakatan was the position taken up earlier not to fight head on with BN-UMNO and risk a greater damage.

“But I realise that it creates a situation that all three (Pakatan partners) are very careful, especially in the case of animosity that is being created and manufactured against the church. We are too calculated.

“However I personally dont think this is the way forward. We can’t continue to be 'wishy washy' of our positions,” he said.

Rafizi also said that Pakatan leaders, including himself, need to be doing some “serious soul searching and find out how we can face this monster.”

“It is a matter of principle. Pakatan will face the daemons of (the topic of) race and religion, or we will always be under the power of those who manipulate these issues,” he said.

Though he said that Pakatan had previously maintained that there is no exclusivity to kalimah Allah, which resulted in electoral losses as three quarters of the Malay population feel the word is exclusive to the religion.

“We need to reaffirm our position. Take charge and confront it straight away.” he said.

Rafizi express worry over the the widening gap between the races that are directly caused by the actions of politicians.

“We are playing with fire here. It is not about winning seats, it is about people losing faith in politicians. All these hatred, suspicion, will burn us to the ground,” he said.

Meanwhile, Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah, who is the CEO of Global Movement of Moderates, said that the government’s decision to outlaw the Coalition of Human Rights NGOs (Comango) was wrong.

“The government should not have declared Comango illegal. Some (politicians) try to be divisive while there are some are trying to be more wise and be inclusive. Moderates must drown the voices of the extremists,” he said.

Saifuddin explained that Comango is not even a legal platform and there was “no harm and problem” if the coalition goes on with its NGO work.

“I think before GE13, I can understand that BN seems going to the centre, our speeches were very centric. Prior to the UMNO elections...people were moving to the right. The JAIS raid and Comango issue it added to people’s trepidation and anxieties.”

On the Allah issue, Saifuddin said that there can be no delay in coming up with a conclusion even before the court decides on the case, as that might take a few more months.

On Wednesday, the Home Ministry declared Comango illegal in a statement by its secretary-general, claiming only 15 out of its 54 groups under its umbrella were registered, and accusing the coalition of promoting sexual rights contrary to Islam.