Two Malaysian police commandos were killed after being hit by a mortar shot in Lahad Datu, Sabah, where Sulu sultanate intruders had reportedly clashed with Malaysian armed forces this morning.

According to a Bernama report, the attack occured when the two were patroling at a post near Kampung Tanduo, where the intruders have been holed up since early Feb.

A Bernama reporter who was at Felda Sahabat 17 at the village said the two bodies were carried by policemen and brought away in a truck to the Lahad Datu hospital.

"Until now there has been no police confirmation, we only saw the bodies with green boots brought into the truck," said the reporter, who was asked to leave the area by authorities.

At this point, the authorities have not confirmed the identities of the officers who have died.

Meanwhile, another Bernama report claims that two military personnel was seen to have been brought to the hospital at 1.50pm.

One was carried on a mobile bed while another was brought in on a wheelchair to the emergency hospital.

Both Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishmmuddin Hussein and Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Ismail Omar are expected to be on scene. A press conference is expected at 5pm.

Earlier, Hishammuddin has confirmed Malaysian security forces in Lahad Datu were fired upon by armed Sulu intruders this morning.

However, Hishammuddin stressed the country's defence forces did not return fire.

"I confirm that our security forces have not taken a single shot but were shot at 10am this morning!" said Hishammuddin in his official twitter account.

He added that the situation was still under full control as the intruders were still being surrounded by Malaysian armed forces.

"Pihak berkuasa belum melepaskan apa2 timbakan balas. Sama kita berdoa! (Authorities have not returned fire. Together we pray!)" he said.

Eaerlier, Bernama reported that gunfire was heard at Felda Sahabat 17, in Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu, Sabah today where the group of intruders from South Philipines are holed up.

Malaysian security forces is believed to have earlier moved into the area in an operation to arrest the intruders, following a series of negotiations that have failed and deadlines that have expired.

Meanwhile, Hishammuddin told a press conference that a reasonable timeframe had been given to the intruders, numbering about 150, to retreat and return back to their homeland.

He added that Malaysia has been very accomodating by giving adequate space through a series of negotiations and diplomatic means.

"I remind the group of intruders who have come into this country not to accuse Malaysia of not giving enough time and space for them to leave," he told reporters.

Also read: Filipino gunmen open fire on Malaysia forces.